Saturday, February 23, 2008

Fotos: La primera mes

Cochabamba Airport. We were met by a group of raucous PCVs, holding signs and cheering for us. Later, I overheard one PCV say to another, ¨Ah, I remember the day we arrived, smelling like fear and soap.¨

Nuestra casa. Donde viven los Omonte, my middle-class host family.

Hermanito. Me and Ronaldo, my little brother. He has enough energy to power a spaceship. It was very difficult to get him to hold still for five seconds so I could take this photo.


Arco iris. Somewhere over the rainbow, way down in Bolivia...



P-dub. Fellow Field Day Family Farmers will surely recognize this planta mala: Amaranth, in the U.S. commonly known as pigweed. Yes, to my delight, it grows here in Bolivia too.




Vacas y montaƱas. Bolivia is insanely gorgeous.




A bunch of PCTs jumping. I don´t know why we jumped. It just felt right.



El huerto. With fellow gardeners Lebo and Marlise. We made a fence out of corn stalks. Its purpose is purely symbolic.


Tipitop. We learned how to make soap holders out of two-liter bottles, which involves making rope out of the plastic label. Not exactly the most useful skill, but at least I can make rope.



Me and a parrot kissing. My options for romantic interest are limited here in Bolivia. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Beekeepers. That´s me on the left with the orange gloves. I´m holding a ¨smoker,¨which (as you might guess) sends out puffs of smoke. The smoke calms the bees down. Cool.

7 comments:

ramona said...

Andrew: It was so great to see your pictures; you look healthy and happy ... all a mother could want. Makes us miss you though. Lots of doings around here this week. I will send you an email. I love you. Mom.

wes said...

Hey Bro, thanks for keeping us posted.
I was just thinking about how hilarious the (later/peace) theory is.
I just had two phone conversations with Burch. At the end of the phone call I said "Later" to which he replied "Peace".
about 15 minutes later another phone call between us ended. "he said "Later" to which I replied "Peace"
i guess my only question would have to be... Who the hell is Ramona?

Sam said...

Greetings from Korea... glad to see all is well.

Oh, and bro... that parrot is cute.

ramona said...

Dude, Ramona is - was - is a well loved but, alas, deceased black lab. I own you.

wes said...

she was a sweet sweet angel. As far as the owning goes. I believe you have that backwards. I just so happen to own you. There are two men I trust, one of them is me and the other is not you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50EALZU4D6A
Enjoy!

wes said...

she was a sweet sweet angel. As far as the owning goes. I believe you have that backwards. I just so happen to own you. There are two men I trust, one of them is me and the other is not you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50EALZU4D6A
Enjoy!

Javier L. Garza said...

I hope you kiss things other than parrots!
J