Saturday, March 22, 2008

Semana Tecnica

We have just returned from an exhilarating tech week. The 15 Agriculture trainees and our coordinators visited several different PCV sites in the Cochabamba and Santa Cruz departments of Bolivia (Villa Esperanza, Chilon, Quirusillas, and Samaipata), getting a taste of what life is like as a Volunteer. We worked mostly with bees during the week, from queen rearing to colony division. One day we went in teams of three to capture wild beehives and transplant them into managed colonies... I got stung about six times, but supposedly bee venom is good for you, so that´s all to the good.

I took some killer pictures during the week, but unfortunately I seem to have misplaced my USB cable, so I´m not able to load them onto the computer. Hopefully it will turn up soon -- I have this great picture of me eating a queen bee larva.

Less than a month remains in training. On Monday I will find out my site placement, where I will live for the next two years. Stay tuned!

No comments: