Monday, March 24, 2008

Chuquisaca, Mi Hogar Nuevo

This afternoon, our training group´s site locations were announced. My new home is located in the department of Chuquisaca (choo-kee-sock-uh). Of the fifteen potential sites for agriculture trainees, this was my first choice. I´m psyched.

My pueblo, the name of which I have been instructed not to divulge for security reasons, is about a seven-hour bus ride from Sucre, the historical capital of Bolivia (La Paz is the governmental capital). There are a few hundred people living in the town, and around 2000 in the surrounding municipality. Current volunteers and training coordinators tell me it´s an excellent site, and a place of exceptional beauty.

I will be replacing Daniel, a PCV from B-41 (the forty-first group of Bolivian PCV´s -- we are B-47). Apparently, I have a lot to live up to. Daniel has done some exceptional work with beekeeping: the apicultores with whom he works are involved in advanced beekeeping activities, including harvesting royal jelly (bee milk, mas o menos). So I, who had no experience with apiculture prior to training, have much to learn in a short time. Bring it on, I say.
We leave on Saturday night for our site visits; I will travel 10 hours by bus to Sucre, and then it´s another 7 hours to my site. I´ll spend four days next week getting to know the place, and learning as much as possible from Dan, whose service ends in April. Then it´s back to Coch for the final two weeks of this head-spinning entrenamiento.

I couldn´t have asked for a better placement. I can´t wait to get started.

I´m scouring the city in search of a replacement part for my camera. Until then, use your imaginations!

Peace and love.

4 comments:

Mom (viv) said...

Andrew: I am so happy for you; I know you were hoping for this assignment. But Devil's Island? And 10 hours on a bus? Ugh. I can't recall if I sent dramamine with you. ... I guess it's too late now. I'm sorry you don't have your iPod yet but I am mailing this week so you should have it by the time you make the trip again, when you make the big move. i love you. Mom.

Sam said...

that's great news andrew... glad to hear you got your first choice, etc. I'm sure you'll more than live up to their expectations, and get more than you ever dreamed out of it in the process. GL and keep us updated...

Unknown said...

It's great to hear that you are doing so well. Keep up the good work, and I'll keep checking up on you.

zdro said...

Monsignor Porter-

Fantastic blog sire. It sounds like very tough, very rewarding work; exactly what you had signed up for. If at all possible please bring home a block of Peace Cheese to share with friends. "Sharing Peace Cheese with Frankenstein." Anyway, just wanted to check in and say we all miss you stateside. Keep the Cards in your prayers as they prepare to battle the machine that is North Carolina. Keep rockin' bro.

-zo