Monday, June 9, 2008

Forage Crops and a Pair of Rabbits

Howdy y´all. I am writing from Sucre, my regional city and the true capital of Bolivia. I am here this weekend running various errands, which range from finding the ingredients for honey shampoo to buying a pair of rabbits for a friend in Sopachuy. I hope they don´t shit too much on the seven-hour bus ride back to town.

In my site we are preparing for the big agricultural fair in July, a yearly extravaganza which attracts lots of outside visitors. Our beekeeping group will have a stand there, where we will be selling honey and, hopefully, other products including said shampoo and lip balm. On the forage front, Don Tomas and I finally broke ground the other day on our demonstration garden, which will include various types of alfalfa, barley and triticale (a mix between wheat and rye); we will plant next week. I brought a couple of cervezas along, as is the custom when dedicating a new piece of land, and Tomas poured out a splash for the Pachamamma, a Quechuan kind of Mother Earth figure. He said a prayer that she would allow our garden to produce fruitfully and that people would be educated by our efforts, rather than laugh at us. Indeed.

About that pictures thing... unfortunately this computer won`t let me upload any. So we`ll have to wait `til next time, I suppose. I haven`t taken that many yet anyway, but I promise next time to offer a comprehensive sample of Sopachuy life. Okay? Okay.

Love and miss. Go Obama.

4 comments:

ramona said...

Rather than excrement, you should be worried about what rabbits REALLY do best...and they don't need a newspaper to do it.

Roonie said...

Andrew,
While your adventures sound very exciting, you'll be bummed to know that we now have a Tuesday night ritual at the J-town Bingo Hall.
And yes, your padre is a regular.

Burch said...

Portier, Sorry its taken me this long to write you but I couldn't figure out how until just now. I hope all is well with you. I know your probably all of the senoritas favorite gringo. Hopefully your writing and playing tunes down there. Trying to get better here too can finally play my way through songs rythmatically. Wanted to leave you on a little musical note that reminded of you.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
'Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
Through my trials and tribulations
And my travels through the nations
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far

He comes in colors in pink and pleasent glows in the dark cause its irradescent.

So get yourself a sweet madonna
Dressed in Rhinestones
Sittin on a pedestal
of abalone shell
Goin 90 I'm not wary
Cause I got the virgin mary
assuring me I won't go to hell.

Take care of yourself bro

Anonymous said...

Hey Porter,

No worries, my man. Just upload them from your Iphone to Flikr. It isn't rocket science!


ps. We miss ya.